Previously known as Dalian University, DUT was founded in 1949. In July 1950, the School of Engineering separated from Dalian University and became Dalian Institute of Technology (DIT). For educating and benefiting the public, Li Yimang, Lv Zhenyu, Duan Yuming and Qu Bochuan made great efforts to promote the development of the DUT. At that time, DUT was located on Street 129, covering an area of less than 1,000 square meters. It held more than 10000 volumes, and most of these books were in Japanese left by the industrial colleges of northeast region in the Puppet period. There were also a few books in English and over ten types of periodicals in Chinese and Japanese. The DUT library was constructed in 1963 as a single building with 8,370 square meters in Lingshui Campus.
Today, DUT Library system includes one main library, three branch libraries, and four buildings across three campuses. The main library is located in the main campus (Lingshui County), and includes Bochuan Library and Lingxi Library. The two branch libraries are located in Developed Zone Campus and Panjin Campus respectively. The third branch library is located in the School of Marxism Studies. The total construction area of the four buildings is 83,000 square meters. The libraries offer over 3.2 million item/volumes, 2.36 million e-books in Chinese and foreign languages, 62960 e-journals, and provides access to 276 databases across 111 platforms. The libraries contain extensive, multiple-lingual, multiple-media collection in science, engineering as well as social science and management disciplines. We provide interlibrary loan service with many domestic libraries such as the National Library. In additon, we have established cooperative working relation with many countries and various organizations.
Bochuan Library is located at the central area of the main campus, named after Dr. Qu Bochuan, one of the school founders and famous educators in our country. Built in 1999, its construction area is 20 thousand square meters. Bochuan Library providesresources in the liberal arts, social sciences, natural science books in Chinese, periodicals of social sciences in Chinese, science journals, literary journals and newspapers, dissertations, and conference proceedings in foreign languages and other special literature.
Lingxi Library is located in the west part of the main campus, named in honor of Academician Qian Lingxi, a famous educator and mechanics expert in our country. It was officially opened in 2011, with the construction area of 30 thousand square meters, and positioned as engineering library. It includes the collection of Engineering books in Chinese, foreign language books, periodicals, journals, Chinese literary periodicals and newspapers. It is a highly information-automatized university library, and becomes another landmark building after the Bochuan Library.
The Library of Development Zone Campus (area of 17,000 square meters) was opened in 2004. It contains in-depth collections of books and other items related to computer science, and provides resources for all staff and students in theSchool of Software Technology.
The Library of Panjin Campus was opened in 2013, covering an area of 16,000 square meters. It serves mainly the staff and students of the Panjin campus. The library has 92,000 books currently with designed maximum volume of 800,000.
The Library of the School of Marxism Studies is on the 3rd Floor of the School of Marxism Studies Building (Building 2), which was designed for the needs of Marxism theoretical disciplines, ideological and political education. The Library of the School of Marxism Studies was opened to the public in September 2016 officially. The collection includes works of Marx, Lenin, Mao Zedong and Deng Xiaoping; politics and political theories; International Communist Movement; the Communist Party of China; the Communist Party around the world, as well as books of workers, peasants, youth, women's movement and organization. Books, periodicals and newspapers in both Chinese and foreign languages are provided.